Honouring our heritage
Becoming a business partner of choice for people of all backgrounds.
There are 1.4 million indigenous people in Canada, and we aim to be the nation’s leading company in developing indigenous leaders. To be a business partner of choice for people of all backgrounds, we will:
- reinvest 1% of profit (cash and in-kind) in indigenous communities;
- engage 50% of our workforce in volunteer opportunities within Aboriginal communities;
- support Joint Ventures and partnership opportunities;
- recruit 20% of our workforce from the indigenous population; and
- deliver sustained positive outcomes for communities.
Outland Camps in Thunder Bay (acquired by Carillion in 2015) have been jointly running the First Nations Natural Resources Youth Employment Program. So far, the programme has seen 370 graduates (a massive increase from 52 in 2015) from 52 northern indigenous communities, made 864 job offers and an impressive 87% of participants have gone on to employment or education within the natural resources industry.
“So far, we have recruited over 500 indigenous employees in Canada and have partnered with the Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business and the Aboriginal Human Resource Council. Through Carillion Bouchier, Carillion Rokstad and Carillion Outland we have the potential to make connections with over 600 indigenous communities and to develop both vocational and leadership skills.”
Simon Buttery, Managing Director of Carillion Canada
Progressive Aboriginal Relations Bronze Award, Carillion Canada
416 hours of cultural awareness training delivered, Carillion Canada